NATIONAL JOB CREATORS NETWORK: BALLOT AMENDMENT 2 WILL “PUT FLORIDA WORKERS OUT OF A JOB”
Tallahassee, FL — The national, nonpartisan Job Creators Network (JCN) warns Florida voters that Ballot Amendment 2 will kill jobs and close businesses across the state.
“Florida’s Ballot Amendment 2 will not only close businesses across the state and put Florida workers out of a job, it will also devastate the state’s economy during a fragile recovery effort after COVID-19. This Ballot Amendment will cause harm to Florida’s workers, just like a mandatory minimum wage hike has harmed employees in Seattle, Washington, D.C., Chicago, California, and more,” said Elaine Parker, a Floridian & Chief Communications Officer of Job Creators Network.
JCN joins a growing list of businesses, workers and leaders across Florida who warn against the consequences of a mandatory $15 minimum wage hike. If passed, Florida would be the first state in the nation to pass such an exponential increase in the minimum wage through a constitutional amendment.
“Multiple studies show jobs are lost when the minimum wage is artificially increased, with low-income workers, women, students, and part-time workers taking the brunt of the impact. This Ballot Amendment will only hurt those workers it claims to help,” Parker said. A government mandate will not help Florida workers in the long run, but it will wreak havoc on small and family-owned businesses immediately. Voters need to be educated and understand the negative consequences for their neighbors, their favorite local stores and restaurants and their wallets.”
The Job Creators Network is a nonpartisan organization whose mission is to educate employees of Main Street America in order to protect the 85 million people who depend on the success of small businesses. JCN provides business leaders and entrepreneurs with the tools to become the voice of free enterprise in the media, in Congress, in state capitals, in their communities, and their workplace, allowing them to hold politicians accountable to job creators and their employees.
In additional to JCN, many other Florida organizations are also advocating against this job-killing ballot amendment, including:
- Associated Industries of Florida
- Florida Chamber of Commerce
- Florida Home Builders Association
- Florida Petroleum Marketers Association, Inc.
- Florida Restaurant & Lodging Association
- Florida Farm Bureau
- Florida Retail Federation
- National Federation of Independent Business
- Associated Builders and Contractors of Florida
On Monday, Sen. Joe Gruters, Chairman of the Republican Party of Florida, and Florida House Speaker-designate Chris Sprowls announced their opposition to Ballot Amendment 2. Dozens of other local and statewide elected officials also oppose the amendment that would hurt local economies. For a full list of elected officials urging voters to vote NO on Ballot Amendment 2, visit https://www.amendment2hurtsyou.com/coalition.
Recent reports demonstrate the catastrophic consequences of Ballot Amendment 2 on Florida jobs and businesses:
- An economic impact studyrevealed Florida has already lost 336,000 jobs due to COVID-19, and Ballot Amendment 2 will kill another 158,000 jobs.
- The National Taxpayers Union, a nonprofit that advocates for taxpayer interests at all levels of government, warned the amendment will devastatefamily-owned small businesses.
- A Florida TaxWatch economic impact report said that businesses will pay an additional $7.3 billion a year to employ the same number of workers today at a $15 minimum wage.
Amendment 2 Hurts You is a campaign to raise awareness for the consequences of Ballot Amendment 2 on small businesses, workers and the economy.
Learn more about how Ballot Amendment 2 will devastate Florida:
Help save Florida jobs by voting no on Ballot Amendment 2 this November.
Paid Political Advertisement by Save Florida Jobs Inc.
230 South Adams St., Ste 200
Tallahassee, FL 32301