By: Tim Bailey, Area Managing Director of Operations, Loews Hotels at Universal Orlando
As the co-owner and operator of all eight hotels at Universal Orlando Resort, Loews Hotels & Co embraces its responsibility as an environmental steward and is committed to achieving success through sustainable and environmentally responsible business practices. Our hotels are focused on conserving energy and water, reducing waste and optimizing responsible sourcing.
“Loews Hotels is in the business of hospitality, but we also believe that doing the right thing is everyone’s business, especially when it comes to being environmentally responsible,” said David Bartek, vice president of operations for Loews Hotels at Universal Orlando. “That’s why we remain focused on consistently re-evaluating and raising our standards to find greater efficiencies and innovative, sustainable solutions.”
Current Practices at Some or All of the Universal Orlando Resort Hotels
ENERGY & WATER CONSERVATION
- Guest rooms feature programmable thermostats with motion detectors to control air conditioning and reduce energy use as well as low-flow shower heads and sink faucets to conserve water. Energy-efficient lighting is used throughout the hotel and public lighting is on timers.
- We are an Energy Star Partner through the U.S. Department of Energy’s Better Buildings initiative.
- Green bags in guest rooms empower guests to recycle aluminum, plastic bottles, glass and papers. Heart of house recycling includes aluminum, steel, plastic, cardboard, toner cartridges, fluorescent bulbs, paper, newspaper, office paper, glass, and magazines.
- Our hotels utilize recycled products, including all paper products made from 100% recycled materials.
- In 2019, our Orlando hotels recycled more than 15.2 million pounds of waste and 370 tons of cardboard.
- Biodegradable and low toxicity cleaning products are used throughout the operation.
- Excess food is donated to the Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida.
- Our hotels partner with Clean the World, a global health organization committed to improving the quality of life for vulnerable populations around the world. Through their programs, they provide hygiene supplies and education using recycled and repurposed supplies donated by hospitality industry partners.
- Loews Hotels at Universal Orlando purchase products and seasonal items from Central and South Florida vendors.
- Our hotels use eco-friendly inks and papers. Room service, lounges, bars, banquet rooms and restaurants, including pool restaurants, primarily use reusable linen, dishware and silverware.
- Our hotels are designated members of the Florida Green Lodging Program and the Orlando Green Business Certification program.
- Six hotels earned the Three Palm designation, the second highest ranking of environmental performance from the Florida Green Lodging Program. The two newest hotels in our portfolio at Universal’s Endless Summer Resort are currently in the certification process.
Focused on the Future
As technology advances, Loews Hotels & Co, in partnership with Universal Orlando, will continuously seek new ways to integrate leading environmental practices into our operations and partner with like-minded vendors. Our teams remain focused on consistently re-evaluating and raising our standards to find greater efficiencies and innovative, sustainable solutions that help build a greener world.